A great seasonal dish for the winter months
The rich partridge is complemented by the sweet parsnip and peppery chicory, finished off with the classic brussel sprout
4 red-legged partridge
50g smoked bacon – cut into lardons
1 carrot – peeled and chopped into small dice
2 shallots – cut into dice
1 clove garlic - crushed
Sprig of thyme
500ml rich chicken stock
4 large parsnips - peeled
2 chicory – cut in half lengthways
500g brussels sprouts
100ml double cream
½ bunch of parsley - chopped
Salt and pepper
Red wine vinegar
- Fry one of the shallots, bacon and carrot in rapeseed oil, when golden, add the crushed garlic, bay and thyme. Deglaze with the madeira, a splash of the vinegar and then add the chicken stock. Reduce by half until tasty and rich. Set aside.
- Cut the thin ends of the parsnips off and set aside. With the thicker base of the parsnip, chop very finely and steam on a perforated tray until cooked. Blend in a food processor with a little double cream until smooth. Season and keep warm in your SousChef Drawer.
- Remove the outer green leaves of the sprouts and place in a bowl with a splash of vinegar, seasoning and the remaining shallot.
- Finely slice the rest of the sprouts and quickly fry in butter until soft, add the cream and the chopped parsley, keep warm.
- Heat a frying pan and add the partridge, season with salt and seal the birds all over until a light golden colour. Remove from the pan and add to a casserole dish. Pour the chicken stock mixture over the top and pre-heat your oven to 175°C on the Fan Plus setting.
- Insert your Miele temperature probe through the breast of the bird, ensuring all of the probe is inside.
- Cook, uncovered, until the core temperature is at 62°C, remove from the oven and allow to rest in the cooking juices for 10 minutes. The bird should still be just pink.
- While the bird is cooking and resting, caramelise the chicory in a hot pan on the cut side and glaze with honey. Steam the thin parts of the parsnip for 4 minutes at 100°C until tender and glaze in the same honey.
- Place the sprouts, parsnip puree, chicory and glazed parsnip a hot plate. Carve the partridge and serve the breasts and legs. Top with the sauce and finish the dish with the sprout leaves.
About the author
With a great love for travel and food, Sven-Hanson Britt studied at Bournemouth and Poole College, where a specialised chef course run by the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts kick started his career in a big way; with an apprenticeship at The Ritz. Sven then went on to take part in MasterChef:The Professionals, which cemented his love of food even further and in May 2015 our partnership began. Appreciating the link between great cooking and great appliances, Sven was drawn to our reputation for precision, passion and uncompromising quality.
Enter your email address to keep up to date with news about Miele and exclusive offers.