A modern twist on a traditional Spanish recipe, COMBINING DELICATE OCTOPUS, POTATOES AND FLAVOURSOME CHORIZO
Octopus is extremely popular in north west Spain, with many women, known as “Pulperia” preparing, cooking and serving huge batches in large copper pots. Grilling the octopus brings a different dimension to the dish, but the key is to cook it slowly and for a long time, to tenderise and braise the meat.
For the Octopus
1 octopus, cleaned
1 medium sized potato cut into very small cubes
2 cooking chorizo sausages, cut into cubes
100g capers, drained
100ml extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, zest and juice
Sweet smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
- Place the whole octopus onto a steam perforated container, and place it on the lowest shelf of your steam oven. Cook it for 55 minutes at 100°C.
- Place the cubed potatoes into another perforated container and slide it on top of the octopus. Cook both for a further 5 minutes at 100°C.
- Fry the chorizo in a dry saucepan for five minutes and then add the steamed potatoes and cook everything together until the potatoes are nice and soft. Set aside.
- In the meantime, heat 50ml of olive oil in a saucepan, and when hot, add the capers and fry for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine the rest of the olive oil with the lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper.
- When the cooking of the octopus is finished, remove the tentacles and dispose of the rest. Heat up a frying or griddle pan over a high heat and sear the steamed tentacles to get colour all over. When done, slice the octopus thickly.
- To serve, spoon some of the chorizo and potato mixture onto a bowl, and place five octopus slices on top.
- Drizzle with the lemon dressing, sprinkle paprika around the plate and garnish with a few micro cress stalks on top of the octopus.
It is not hugely important where you place your trays in the steam oven, as it is the same temperature all the way through.
About the author
Every member of the Miele Team is a passionate home economist and an expert in their field, striving to provide cooking inspiration and knowledgeable product advice.
Enter your email address to keep up to date with news about Miele and exclusive offers.