For the Dried Orange Slices 1 small orange 1 tbsp icing sugar ½ tsp vegetable oil For the Cake 500g raw beetroot, peeled and grated 150g buttermilk 3 tbsp white wine vinegar 2 tsp vanilla bean paste 400g caster sugar 4 eggs Juice and zest of 2 oranges 500g plain flour 3 tbsp baking powder 4 tbsp cocoa powder 2 tbsp honey For the Icing 185g butter, softened 250g icing sugar Zest of an orange 180g cream cheese To Finish 4 figs, cut into sixths 2 small punnets of blackberries Honey to drizzle
1. For the dried orange slices, place a silicone mat onto a baking tray. Lightly grease with vegetable oil. Slice an orange very thinly and lay out on the silicone mat. Dust with 1 tbsp of icing sugar.
2. Place into the warming drawer on the food setting, highest temperature square (85°C) for 4 hours or until dry and crisp.
3. For the cake, line and grease 4 x 18cm Victoria sandwich cake tins. Preheat the oven to Fan Plus at 150°C.
4. Place the beetroot, buttermilk, white wine vinegar and vanilla bean paste into a food processor and blitz to a puree.
5. Place the caster sugar, eggs and zest of 2 oranges into a large bowl. Whisk using an electric hand whisk for 3-4 minutes until light and pale.
6. In a separate bowl mix together the plain flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
7. Fold the beetroot mixture into the whisked egg mixture, followed by the dry ingredients.
8. Divide the batter between the 4 lined cake tins. Place on baking trays in the oven on shelf positions 2 and 4. Bake on Fan Plus at 150°C for 35-40 minutes.
9. For the glaze, place the juice of 2 oranges and the honey into a small saucepan, and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
10. Once the cakes are cooked, place on a wire rack. Brush with the glaze, repeating on all cakes, using up the glaze. Leave to cool completely.
11. For the icing, whisk together the butter, icing sugar and orange zest for 2-3 minutes.
12. Add the cream cheese and whisk for a further minute. Transfer to piping bag with a 1.5 cm nozzle.
13. On three of the cakes, pipe dots of the icing in a ring around the edge. Fill in the centre with a little more icing and some halved blackberries. Place these cakes on top of one another, finishing with the blank cake.
14. Arrange the figs, blackberries and the dried orange slices on top. Add dots of the icing and a drizzle of honey to finish.
Every member of the Miele Team is a passionate home economist and an expert in their field, striving to provide cooking inspiration and knowledgeable product advice.
Enter your email address to keep up to date with news about Miele and exclusive offers.